In nature, plants produce germ-killing essential oils to protect themselves from invading microbes, similar to how our bodies produce antibodies for our protection.
Benefect is a revolutionary blend of these antimicrobial extracts particularly from thyme oil.
They formulate with whole essential plant oils, not synthesized copies of the chemicals found within the oils. Thymol, the resulting compound, achieves remarkable efficacy and safety profiles without using any traditional synthetic chemicals like ammonia or chlorine.
Benefect is suitable for use around children, pets, the elderly and chemically-sensitive individuals, so you can relax about chemical contamination, over-spray & evacuating building occupants.
Active Ingredients in Benefect
- Botanical Thyme Oil
Pros of Benefect
- Kills 99.99% of bacteria (including mold) in 30 seconds according to the data sheets
- Food surface safe
- Has been certified by the UL Ecologo Program which is North America’s leading benchmark of environmentally-responsible products and services
- Benefect is the only ALL botanical formula in the industry
- Benefect surpasses the government’s germ killing requirements for hospital disinfectants.
- The ingredients are categorized as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) and as Direct Food Additives by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- Can be used in a fogger
- No rinsing or wiping required. Does not leave a residue
- Ready to use – no dilution required
- Very long shelf life
Cons of Benefect
- Odd odor
- Does not remove mycotoxins
- Kills mold but you still need to remove the materials with the “dead” mold on it
Toxic or Non-Toxic
100% non-toxic! There are no cautions/warnings on the label or MSDS Sheets.
This is a tough one. I began using Benefect a good decade or more ago. I liked how it cleaned and I felt confident that it was taking care of all the bad bacteria in my house.
Our house was contaminated with mold. We didn’t know this at the time because it was not visible but we lived in a moldy environment for 8 years.
Now, I had been using Benefect for 6 of those years in that house. Obviously Benefect was not going to touch a mold problem as large as ours but based on the claims it makes I would have thought it might have help with the mold spores flying around the house and landing on things.
It didn’t. And it didn’t touch our mycotoxin problem.
Do I think this is a quality non-toxic cleaner? Yes. But it does remove the bad and GOOD bacteria and you might want to leave some of that alone.
I would not use this to deal with mold. Benefect does have a Decon 30 product on the market now that I have not tried. It has been formulated to kill gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria with a contact time of just 30 seconds.
The Benefect Decon 30 Data Sheet does say it is “best used as a wipe application to remove surface molds and as a spray after remediation procedure is complete to control any remaining molds. Should be used with proper remediation protocols, as all molds should be removed from affected areas to ensure health and safety of building occupants.”
I think that makes it pretty clear that Benefect alone is not a solution to mold. However, if you would like to purchase Benefect, you can do so here.