After bringing my daughter (referred to as “Tiny”) earthside in early 2009, I left a decade long career as an executive recruiter behind to focus my energies on mothering. What was born of that journey (and my crazy adventures with my own mold crisis) is what propelled me forward to create my first website Hybrid Rasta Mama in February 2011.
Hybrid Rasta Mama became a successful website much faster than I was prepared for. By luck, one of my first posts went viral and suddenly I was a “real” blogger.
So much has changed since those early days. While I love Hybrid Rasta Mama and the eclectic content I poured my heart into, times have changed and I decided to focus my energies on something I tried to run away from but that kept pulling me back…mold.
I am a Certified Mold Inspector from the International Association of Certified Mold Inspectors. My coursework includes How To Perform Mold Inspections, Advanced Mold Inspection Training, How To Inspect For Moisture Intrusion, How To Inspect the Exterior, Residential Plumbing Overview, and Indoor Air Quality.
I am also a member of the International Society for Environmentally Acquired Illness. My earlier years afforded me the opportunity to graduate with honors with a Bachelor’s Degree in Ethnic Studies. I am a lifetime member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society and Golden Key Honor Society.
I have always had a passion for researching everything to death. I have also always had a passion for writing. I am not afraid to tackle tough topics. I don’t get embarrassed by much. I am self deprecating. Apparently my audience loves that about me. 😉
To learn more about my moldy adventures and how I got to where I am today, be sure to watch my short video below. It’s fun plus you get to know me a “in person” just a wee bit. But just for fun… here are 6 things that make up my life story.
- I currently live in a rather crazy household with my ever-so-patient boyfriend Jason, my uber-creative daughter “Tiny”, our pooch Ruby, our mystical cat Polly, my bossy bunny Olive, and our piranha-trapped-in-a-goldfish-body Mr. Fish.
- My daughter and I lost every single thing we owned in December 2014 due to a highly contaminated home. You can learn more about my story here.
- As angry as I was at the time, I have come to a very peaceful place about starting life completely over with nothing. Sometimes our egos need a good humbling down.
- Thanks to toxic mold exposure, my daughter and I have a lot of food allergies and intolerances. Despite being gluten free, egg free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, mostly grain free, and many other things free, I am still able to create nourishing and delicious meals and treats.
- I make as many cleaning products and personal care products as I can from scratch. I believe in limiting our chemical exposure.
- We spend as much time in nature, celebrating nature, and honoring nature as possible. Mother Earth generously provides for us and in turn we do what we can to honor her.