If you have a mold problem it might be tempting to try to remove mold by using a mold control fogger and a mold fogging solution. However, fogging mold is NOT going to remove active mold growth or prevent future mold growth if you have an active leak or other water event.
In order for mold fogging and mold control solutions to be effective, you must do the following first:
- Fix the problem, most likely a leak
- Dry out any wet areas
- Remove the moldy material (drywall, cabinetry, etc..)
After you have done these three things, then you can grab one of the best mold control foggers and your trusted mold control solution and tackle the mold spores that have spread throughout your home.
- Some Of The Areas And Items That A Mold Control Fogger Would Be Ideal For Removing Mold Spores From
- Is There Anything You Shouldn’t Fog?
- The 4 Best Mold Control Foggers
- The Best Mold Fogging Solutions
- How to Use Mold Control Foggers
- Other Mold Fogging Tips
- Is There A Way To Keep The Airborn Mold Spore Count Down Between Mold Foggings?
Some Of The Areas And Items That A Mold Control Fogger Would Be Ideal For Removing Mold Spores From
- Cabinets (inside and out)
- Crawl spaces
- Roof spaces
- Rooms with a lot of Furniture and Decor
- Rooms with lots of Windows
- Under the house
- Wooden decks/patios
This is not an exhaustive list by any means. Basically you can use a mold fogger anywhere you can gain access to.
Is There Anything You Shouldn’t Fog?
That is up for debate. I fog everything. However, use caution around electronics. Anything made of paper could be compromised. Really, it comes down to the mist setting you are using. The finer the mist the less likely you will damage anything. As you move into the stream settings, you could definitely ruin household items or furniture that it not known for handling moisture well.
The 4 Best Mold Control Foggers
I have tried many different foggers but honestly there are only a few that are worth your money and time. These 4 mold foggers work great and require no skill and very little patience. Some of the other cold foggers I used drove me right up a wall!
Curtis Dynafog Sani-Tizer (The Best Handheld and Static Mold Fogger)
This fogger is the first ULV (Ultra Low Volume) sprayer specifically designed to efficiently apply antibacterial, deodorizing, and mold abatement solutions. DynaFog Sani-Tizer is made from a durable and lightweight plastic material with a VERY sturdy rubberized handle making it easy to move around. The low profile tank design virtually eliminates tipping…empty or full. This is a big deal. Trust me.
If you need to use the fogger statically it provides a tilting option to position the head of the fogger. To lock the head in position there is a locking knob on the side of the fogger. Thanks to this mechanism the fogger can be used in multiple angles for more precise spraying.
The flow rate of Sani-Tizer ULV fogger can be adjusted from 0-4.5 gallons (0-17 l) per hour. This fogger will output droplets from as small as 5 micron range, which is basically a fog up to 50 microns of fine mist. The Sani-Tizer fogger has three precision nozzles located on the front of the fogger and produces a precise stream of mist that covers a large areas quickly.
What I Like About The Curtis Dynafog Sani-Tizer
- You can use it either as a handheld fogger or as a static fogger.
- It does not tip over which is a huge issue I had with other brands.
- It’s micron range is huge giving you a lot of control over the mist type.
- Very easy to use.
- You can use any mold control solution in it.
One – if you aren’t careful with the setting you choose, you could get things pretty wet. The Sani-Tizer has three nozzles which output a lot of spray. So you should experiment with the mold fogger outside before using it inside.
Recent Reviews On Amazon
Excellent! Wonderful! Reliable! Will fog any liquid, even corrosives. Adjustable to control the amount of fog. Can run empty without damage. No, I’m not the manufacturer or a dealer. I own a remediation company and am an end user.
This Hurricane Fogger was a completely superior level of a dispensing device which is also reflected in the difference of price. The Hurricane unit uses high volume fans to make an aerosol of the Black Flag insecticide. There are no pumps to break, no hot burning propane danger, and no clogging. The fog shoots at a farther distance (and velocity) than the propane based fogger and did not require constant hand pumping (or any pumping at all). If you can afford it then this is the way to go. You will also need an extension cord.
Longray Basic ULV Fogger with Adjustable Flow & Flex-Hose (The Best Handheld Only Mold Fogger)
This was the first fogger I ever tried and have to say it is one of the best delivery systems I have found for the EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate. The Longray Basic ULV Fogger is designed to be picked up and carried around for manual, directed spraying. The bottom of the unit is a generously-sized, detachable solution tank with an easy-fill valve and a capacity scale. The top of the unit is molded into a grip handle so you can take your fogger anywhere.
It is a genuine fogger. Foggers competing in this price range are often mislabeled misters. WHO guidelines define a particle finer than 100 microns as mist, and finer than 50 microns as fog. The Longray Basic is a genuine fogger, producing a 5-50 micron fog that diffuses faster, penetrates better, and has a higher probability of coming into contact with small particles like mold spores and mycotoxins.
The unit’s vortex nozzle is designed to be clog-resistant and after using it for 2 years now, I have never experienced any issues with it.
What I Like About The Longray Basic ULV Fogger
- It is very lightweight and easy to move around.
- The mist settings are perfect. There is a setting for every area I need to get to.
- It is one of the more affordable mold foggers.
- The nozzle never clogs.
- You can use any mold control solution in it.
- Yes, it has tipped over once or twice as the mold control solution level decreased in the tank. However, since you are holding it to do the fogging, this isn’t a huge issue.
- It also isn’t the easiest fogger to fill with solution but it isn’t horribly difficult or messy. I do spill a little when filling it with water.
Recent Reviews From Amazon
This is really a great product. It does not stand up easily when near empty but it doesn’t seem to be an issue for me. I have beat it up pretty good, dragging it through a crawl space spraying Concrobium on the underside of a floor system. It does fog darn well and it seems to work from any angle. You can dial it back to light mist or let it blow it out full force. I’ve never owned a cold fogger before. I was honestly not expecting much, but great job to whoever made it.
I live in an old mill that sits right on the stream… so water in the lower level is a regular event. My basement is half concrete, half dirt (where the water wheel used to be). Musty smells are almost a given. I gave the basement a good shot of hospital disinfectant, followed the next day a shot of Lysol (1 gallon jug) – I used just a quart and BAM, musty basement is GONE! – Word of advice, get a respirator with chemicals. I got too much a shot of the Lysol. (Cough, cough). Unit is noisy, like the power tool it is. It really does shoot 20′ with the finest mist. A bit top heavy, so I needed to hand hold it… which is comfortable. Not a “set it and leave it” unit… requires your attention but REALLY DOES THE JOB. Nice long cord. Came with some “spare parts”, but no instructions on what they are or where they go. We’ll figure that out later… but all and all VERY HAPPY WITH THIS UNIT.
You can purchase the Longray fogger on Amazon. It is usually under $200.00.
Petra Electric Fogger Atomizer Backpack Sprayer
Petra is a family run company with excellent customer service. If something ever goes wrong with your fogger they are there to help!
The Petra Fogger is a ULV cold fogger with an average particle size of under 50 microns. It sprays 15-20 feet away which means you can spray into attics or crawlspaces easily and with a powerful spray.
Get the power you need to reach up high in attics, into basements, crawl spaces, rooftops and other mold prone places with your favorite mold control solutions.
There is a wide mouth lid without any clamps or seals which makes it easy to pour the mold control solution in.
The Petra Fogger has a large commercial hose which doesn’t restrict movement and allows you to spray more accurately.
What I Like About The Petra Fogger
- It is very comfortable to wear with sturdy, well made backpack straps. It makes it feel lighter than it is.
- It is easy to get into any space with the Petra Fogger since you wear it on you back. No lugging a fogger around and trying to hoist it into the attic.
- The long hose makes it easy to get everywhere without ladders.
- The mist settings and reach of the spray are phenomenal.
- You can use any mold control solution in it.
One – the Petra Fogger is a backpack which might not work for everyone. You have no choice but to wear it as a backpack.
Recent Amazon Reviews
As you might expect, this can get fairly heavy with four gallons of water in it. The unit itself isn’t extremely heavy though. Unfortunately, the shoulder strap broke the first time I tried to put it on. I contacted the seller, and they were extremely helpful and are sending new straps. Hope these hold up better.
This sprayer is light. Easy to use, does a great job spraying in my yard. Able to keep the insects at bay as a dyi.
I was really surprised how easy this was to get up and going, this seams to be a quality built machine!!!
You can purchase the Petra Backpack Mold Control Fogger on Amazon. It is always the lowest price there.
Concrobium Mold Control Fogger
Unfortunately there is very little information about this fogger either on the manufacturer’s website or on the internet. I am not necessarily recommending it but it is a popular mold fogger to rent so I wanted to give you my honest review on it.
The Concrobium Mold Control Fogger is a sturdy and stationary cold fogger. The fogger atomizes Concrobium mold control into a fine mist that quickly and evenly coats surfaces to eliminate existing mold and prevent mold growth.
What I Like About the Concrobium Mold Control Fogger
- It works great in large spaces.
- It disperses the solution quickly and evenly.
- Clear instructions are included with the unit that cover everything from setting it up, to how much mold control solution you will need for your intended room size and how long fogging will take.
- It is a sturdy, well built fogger than can fog any area up to 400s sq ft in a single application.
- It can be tricky to figure out how much solution to use and what setting to use it on even with the clear instructions.
- It only has three mist setting levels and there is no information on the micron size for each setting.
- It does not easily get into hard to reach areas.
- There are filters that need to be removed and cleaned.
- It really only works well with the Concrobium Mold Control Solution. It didn’t work as well with the EC3 Solution.
Recent Reviews On Amazon
Well made, works well. Way more affordable than using “bomb” cans. Use this 3X and it’s paid for itself.
I purchased this product in Sept. 2018. I was looking forward to use it to fog my basement with concrobium mold. The liquid will not fog, and I’ve tried using this model of mold fogger in the past with good success. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to trying it until a couple days after the return window closed.
I have bought 7 in the past 9 month and all of them are not working again. We use for pest control and all went dead average 2 month after purchase. Will not recommend.
If you did want to check out the Concrobium Mold Control Fogger you can likely find it at your local hardware store as a rental. Otherwise you can head here to check it out further.
Those are the four best mold control foggers on the market. You really can’t go wrong with any of them and it is more of a matter of personal preference on which one you choose.
The Best Mold Fogging Solutions
I have done a LOT of research regarding mold fogging solutions. I won’t settle for anything that doesn’t meet my standards. The mold fogging solutions I am recommending have the following things in common:
- All natural
- Safe for use around pets
- Safe for use on and around children’s toys, games, etc…
- Safe if it accidentally gets in contact with skin
- Not necessary to leave the house for a period of time after fogging
- Does not off-gas
- Can be sprayed on any surface or material
- Dries quickly
- Cost Effective
- Decent Shelf Life
- Bonus if it both removes mold and prevents mold
- Double bonus if it removes mycotoxins
Yes, that is a tall order but believe it or not there are products out there that meet all my standards and even meet one or both of my bonuses.
EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate
EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate is an all-natural botanical solution that, when mixed with distilled water, can be used to maintain a mold and bacteria free home. The solution contains a proprietary blend of citrus seed extracts with antimicrobial properties to effectively remove the mold spores that collect on the hard and soft surfaces of your home.
This product is a recommended and proven part of the Environmental Treatment Protocol, developed by Dr. Don Dennis, for sufferers of Chronic Sinusitis or other mold related disease. This product is safe for all materials, surfaces and fabrics. This product is safe for children and pets, does not off-gas, contains no harmful chemicals and is not toxic.
EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate comes in a 16 ounce bottle, and once properly diluted, makes 1 gallon of cleaning solution which I have found more than covers a 2400 square foot home.
The EC3 mold solution does not leave any residue which means there is no cleanup required after it dries. In fact, the longer you leave it on surfaces and items, the better. I try not to do any cleaning for at least 24 hours after spraying.
I love that you do not have to stay out of the house for very long after spraying. Once the solution dries, people and pets can return. It normally takes about 10-15 minutes for the solution to dry.
Here is the bonus to using the EC3 mold fogging solution. It has actually been proven to reduce the levels of mycotoxins. This is huge! Not only do you get more bang for your buck but you get piece of mind that you are keeping your home and yourself healthy.
Pros of Using EC3 Mold Solution
- It is extremely effective both based on my personal experience (and before and after testing) and on independent testing by Real Time Labs.
- It handles both airborne mold spores and surface mold.
- It dries quickly.
- It won’t irritate your skin if it gets on you.
- You don’t have to wear any protective gear when spraying the EC3 Mold Solution.
- There is no residue after it dries.
Not really. One con could be that you need to mix the concentrated solution with water so there is a possibility of messing up the ratios
If you would like to read my full review of EC3 products feel free to do so.
Concrobium Mold Control
Some antimicrobial solutions are just encapsulants which means they just cover or trap the mold. Concrobium Mold Control goes further than encapsulation. As it dries over the moldy surface it forms an antimicrobial shield that actually eliminates the mold or mildew underneath.
Concrobium Mold Control stays on surfaces – in the form of an invisible antimicrobial shield – to prevent mold and mildew growth. As long as that shield is intact, the treated surface retains a protective barrier that will prevent the growth of mold and mildew. Reapplication is only necessary if that barrier is removed or covered with a new surface. So if the surface receives constant dousing with water (e.g. a shower stall), or resurfaced (painted) or becomes very soiled, it is recommended that the Concrobium Mold Control be reapplied. Otherwise reapplication should not be required.
Pros of Using Concrobium Mold Control
- The solution contains no bleach, ammonia or VOCs.
- It is safe to use on most surfaces, even carpet and timber without any damage to your valuable furniture or floor coverings.
- Concrobium is a long term solution and not just a quick fix.
- It is ready to use with no mixing.
Yes. Quite a few unfortunately.
- Although Concrobium is non-toxic, people and pets do need to be out of the house during and for 24 hours after fogging.
- After fogging, you have to allow the fog to dissipate for at least 15-20 minutes. After that, you need to go in and wipe off any excess wetness from surfaces with a clean cloth.
- You have to allow surfaces to dry overnight. A harmless white residue may remain on surfaces. It may be necessary to wipe some surfaces clean after drying e.g. glass, mirrors. Ideally you will NOT clean the residue with any liquid (water or other cleaner) since this defeats how Concrobium works.
- Concrobium only works if it is allowed to remain on surfaces. Therefore, it doesn’t tackle air born mold spores very well.
You can read my full review of Concrobium Mold Control here.
How to Use Mold Control Foggers
Using a mold fogger is really easy and can be done one of two ways. There is the set it and forget it method and there is the handheld method.
Both methods involve the following steps:
- Clear the area to be treated of any items that might get damaged by getting damp or wet (some furniture, electronics, paper etc).
- Add your mold fogging solution of choice to the mold fogger tank.
- Adjust the liquid flow rate settings on your chosen fogger to your desired setting. I prefer to use either the finest mist setting or one up from that.
For Set It and Forget It Foggers (Stationary Mold Foggers)
- Set the mold fogger up where it will run and angle the fogger head for optimal dispersal around the entire room. Do not point it straight into a wall.
- Turn the fogger on for the desired time – but not so much that the solution runs onto surfaces and pools.
- After you have turned the machine off, let the area sit for half an hour so that all the fog has settled.
For Handheld Mold Control Foggers
- Grab your fogger and start by spraying the mold fogging solution into each air vent in the room. You may want to turn the spray up a bit so it sprays further into the vent.
- Turn the mist back down to the finest setting and spray the contents of the room. Don’t hesitate to open closets up and drawers up and spray inside. Spray until everything is covered in a fine mist. You want it slightly damp to the touch but not wet. Nothing should be dripping.
- Spray the ceilings, floors, and windowsills.
- Repeat in each room.
After either mold fogging method, open the windows, turn on fans and allow the area to dry.
That’s it! There is no rinsing required. You can get back to life!
Other Mold Fogging Tips
- I like to put the handheld mold control foggers on the “finest mist” setting. This offers the most coverage without saturating everything.
- I literally spray everything in my home. The mist is so fine that I haven’t had any problems spraying electronics with it. It doesn’t leave things wet on this setting.
- Not only do I spray all the furnishings, I spray the counters, walls, ceilings, floors, window coverings, beddings, inside closets, etc…
- Since vehicles can become easily contaminated, I use my mold prevention and mycotoxin removal protocol in my car as well. It takes about five minutes with the fine mist and my car feel wonderful afterwards!
Is There A Way To Keep The Airborn Mold Spore Count Down Between Mold Foggings?
If you are looking for something to use in between monthly treatments, I highly recommend the EC3 Air Purification Candles.
As an EC3 Candle burns, the heat from the flame aerosolizes and disperses an all-natural, antifungal ingredient embedded in the soy wax into the air. The candle reduce mold counts by more than 90% in 3 hours. That is HUGE!
Additionally, independent lab tests demonstrated EC3 Candles denatured mycotoxins. Each candle has a burn life of approximately 22 hours. The candles have no added fragrance, so as not to aggravate chemical sensitivities that are common in sinusitis sufferers.
I like to burn these around my house every week, just to ensure that no mold spores take root. So far so good!