If you have a mold problem it might be tempting to try to remove mold by using a mold control fogger and a mold fogging solution. However, fogging mold is NOT going to remove active mold growth or prevent future mold growth if you have an active leak or other water event.
In order for mold fogging and mold control solutions to be effective, you must do the following first:
- Fix the problem, most likely a leak
- Dry out any wet areas
- Remove the moldy material (drywall, cabinetry, etc..)
After you have done these three things, then you can grab one of the best mold control foggers and your trusted mold control solution and tackle the mold spores that have spread throughout your home.
Some Of The Areas And Items That A Mold Control Fogger Would Be Ideal For Eliminating Mold Spores From Include:
- Cabinets (inside and out)
- Crawl spaces
- Roof spaces
- Rooms with a lot of Furniture and Decor
- Rooms with lots of Windows
- Under the house
- Wooden decks/patios
This is not an exhaustive list by any means. Basically you can use a mold fogger anywhere you can gain access to.
Is There Anything You Shouldn’t Fog?
That is up for debate. I fog everything. However, use caution around electronics. Anything made of paper could be compromised. Really, it comes down to whether you are using a thermal fogger or a cold fogger as well as the mist setting you are using. The finer the mist the less likely you will damage anything. As you move into the stream settings, you could definitely ruin household items or furniture that are not known for handling moisture well.
ULV Cold Fogging Vs. Thermal Fogging
ULV cold fogging or misting is the most frequently selected DIY mold fogging method. This is because it is cost effective, easy to do, and doesn’t require you to stay out of your home for any period of time. However, there is a time and place for thermal fogging or even a combination of both. Let’s take a quick look at these two mold fogging methods.
Thermal fogging is also referred to as hot fogging.
Thermal foggers use heat to vaporize a fogging solution and spray it out in the form of a fog. Thermal foggers are equipped with a heat barrel that is preheated to high temperatures using either propane gas or electricity depending on the type of a fogger. The fogging solution is in a liquid form, and when it gets pumped into the heat barrel, it is instantly vaporized. This allows the fogger to produce large counts of particles in extremely small sizes, which all together forms a dense cloud of fog. Surfaces stay dry during the thermal fogging process.
Thermal foggers generally produce smaller size particles than cold foggers, averaging from 0.5-10 microns depending on the fogger. Because of the small size, the particles stay airborne longer, increasing the chances that they will come in contact with mold spores. In addition, these particles penetrate the smallest and most difficult to reach places. Thermal fogging can literally reach every surface, get around furnishings, go into every nook and cranny, and even find its way into small holes inside of your home with minimal effort.
When fogging post-remediation, thermal fogging is the preferred method.
ULV Cold Fogging
ULV fogging or misting is often used in a similar manner to hot fogging. However, the mechanics of how it works are quite different.
A ULV fogger operates using cold fogging techniques. To produce fog into small droplets, ULV foggers are equipped with motors that produce a high power, low pressure air stream. The mold control solution is stored in a tank and when the fogger is operating, the fogging liquid gets pumped out of the tank. The mold control solution then gets pumped into a special nozzle that is construed in such a way to give the air flow a swirling motion. A high air pressure produced by the motor helps to spray the solution through the nozzle separating it into tiny particles (aerosolizing). The liquid solution gets sprayed out of the nozzle in the form of a fog or a fine mist.
ULV foggers output a larger range in particle size, averaging from 5-30 microns. Different ULV foggers will produce different sized droplets, based on the use of the fogger. ULV foggers produce a very consistent particle size and particle size of these foggers can be adjusted by adjusting the flow rate. This is especially useful if you need to fog different areas or use the fogger for various purposes.
While you can adjust the micron size to fit different applications, a cold fogger simply can’t match the high-density, small droplet output of a thermal fogger. This means that the fog won’t easily be able to penetrate the smallest and most difficult to reach places. If you are using a handheld or backpack ULV fogger, you certainly can direct the flow into hard to reach places. But since cold foggers don’t produce a visible fog like thermal foggers, it can be tricky to see exactly where the fog is going.
ULV cold fogging is a great choice for monthly mold prevention and to tackle smaller areas post remediation.
The Best Mold Control Fogger – Thermal Fogging / Hot Fogging
There are only two thermal foggers that I can honestly recommend. So many of the affordable thermal foggers are cheaply built and don’t last for more than 2-3 uses. This is because many of these are designed as “party foggers” and viewed as only needing a short lifespan. The industrial foggers are all going to be outside of the average person’s budget which is why I am not recommending them. Let’s take a look at the two thermal foggers I highly recommend.
1000 Watt HavenFogger and 400 Watt Mini HavenFogger
Both HavenFogger models offer the same features and work in the same way. The only difference is the wattage, the tank capacity, the heat up time, and the square footage it will cover. As such, I am reviewing these together.
The 1000 Watt HavenFogger features a 0.9 gallon tank capacity and quick 5.5 minute heat up time for an output of 20,000 cfm. This allows you to use one gallon of the HavenFog solution at a time which will cover up to 4,000 square feet.
The 400 Watt Mini HavenFogger features a 0.2 gallon tank capacity and quick 2 minute heat up time for an output of around 4,000 cfm. This allows you to use one pint of the HavenFog at a time which will cover up to 1,000 square feet.
What I Like About Both HavenFogger Models
- Compact thermal fogging machine
- Emits thick bursts of dry fog
- Always ready technology provides fog on demand
- Variable output from the included timer remote
- Manual fog button provides easy control at your finger tips
- LED-illuminated tank enhances operation and safety
- Residue-free fog output
- Hanging bracket with mounting hardware for storage
- The 1000 watt HavenFogger might be heavy for some. It weighs in close to 9 pounds.
1000 Watt HavenFogger vs 400 Watt Mini HavenFogger
While both are good choices, the model you choose really comes down to which you can afford and which you have the patience to use.
While you can use the smaller 400 Watt Mini Fogger in any size home, it will take longer since you can only add 1 quart of HavenFog solution at a time. This means you have to refill it more often and keep a close eye on the tank capacity as you move it from room to room. Since the output is much less than the 1000 watt fogger, it will take more time to fog each room adequately.
The upside to the Mini Fogger is that it is very lightweight, making it easier to move around for just about anyone. It also take up slightly less room to store.
If you are fogging after a large mold remediation, I would absolutely choose the 1000 watt HavenFogger. If your primary goal is to fog for periodic mold prevention, the 400 watt Mini HavenFogger will work fine.
The 5 Best Mold Control Foggers – ULV Cold Fogging
I have tried many different foggers but honestly there are only a few that are worth your money and time. These 5 mold foggers work great and require no skill and very little patience. Some of the other cold foggers I used drove me right up a wall!
Curtis Dynafog Sani-Tizer (The Best Handheld and Static Mold Fogger)
This fogger is the first ULV (Ultra Low Volume) sprayer specifically designed to efficiently apply antibacterial, deodorizing, and mold abatement solutions. DynaFog Sani-Tizer is made from a durable and lightweight plastic material with a VERY sturdy rubberized handle making it easy to move around. The low profile tank design virtually eliminates tipping…empty or full.
This fogger is the first ULV (Ultra Low Volume) sprayer specifically designed to efficiently apply antibacterial, deodorizing, and mold abatement solutions. DynaFog Sani-Tizer is made from a durable and lightweight plastic material with a VERY sturdy rubberized handle making it easy to move around. The low profile tank design virtually eliminates tipping…empty or full. This is a big deal. Trust me.
If you need to use the fogger statically it provides a tilting option to position the head of the fogger. To lock the head in position there is a locking knob on the side of the fogger. Thanks to this mechanism the fogger can be used in multiple angles for more precise spraying.
The flow rate of Sani-Tizer ULV fogger can be adjusted from 0-4.5 gallons (0-17 l) per hour. This fogger will output droplets from as small as 5 micron range, which is basically a fog up to 50 microns of fine mist. The Sani-Tizer fogger has three precision nozzles located on the front of the fogger and produces a precise stream of mist that covers a large areas quickly.
What I Like About The Curtis Dynafog Sani-Tizer
- You can use it either as a handheld fogger or as a static fogger.
- It does not tip over which is a huge issue I had with other brands.
- It’s micron range is huge giving you a lot of control over the mist type.
- Very easy to use.
- You can use any mold control solution in it.
One – if you aren’t careful with the setting you choose, you could get things pretty wet. The Sani-Tizer has three nozzles which output a lot of spray. So you should experiment with the mold fogger outside before using it inside.
Recent Reviews On Amazon
Excellent! Wonderful! Reliable! Will fog any liquid, even corrosives. Adjustable to control the amount of fog. Can run empty without damage. No, I’m not the manufacturer or a dealer. I own a remediation company and am an end user.
This Hurricane Fogger was a completely superior level of a dispensing device which is also reflected in the difference of price. The Hurricane unit uses high volume fans to make an aerosol of the Black Flag insecticide. There are no pumps to break, no hot burning propane danger, and no clogging. The fog shoots at a farther distance (and velocity) than the propane based fogger and did not require constant hand pumping (or any pumping at all). If you can afford it then this is the way to go. You will also need an extension cord.
HavenMister (The Best Handheld Only Fogger)
The HavenMister is an excellent, cost effective option that is offered in two sizes. In addition, a travel mister is available.
The 1000 watt large HavenMister is a workhorse and ideal for large scale remediation and/or buildings of significant square footage. The Large HavenMister holds 136 oz (4000 mL) of mold solution which allows you to treat a small room in about 1 minute with a reach of 10 feet. This unit allows you to adjust the particle size from 10-150 microns.
The standard 360 watt HavenMister holds 34 oz (1000 mL) of mold solution which allows you to treat a small room in about 2 minutes with a reach of 6 feet. This unit allows you to adjust the particle size from 15-40 microns.
What I Like About The HavenMister
The 1000 watt large HavenMister has a sturdy shoulder strap which allows you to support the fogger against your hip. The hose itself is also lightweight and very easy to handle even as the fogging solution is being dispersed.
The 1000 watt HavenMister has impressive reach of 10 feet. In most rooms, this means you can stand in one place and pretty much spray the entire area.
The 360 watt standard HavenMister is smaller, lighter, and much easier to maneuver compared to all other cold foggers I have used. This is particularly helpful when going up and down stairs.
The 360 watt HavenMister has a 9 foot power cord which is actually rather generous. Most foggers offer a 6 foot power cord.
The 360 watt standard HavenMister does not have a hose which does make it a little tricky to get into nooks and crannies. The mister is limited to the spray pattern of the mist. So it does take a little bit of extra attention on your part to make sure the mist gets where you need it to go.
What About The Travel HavenMister?
The Travel HavenMister is a handheld rechargeable electric mister that attaches directly to the HavenMist bottle which allows for quick targeted application.
This is a game changer for mold sensitive people while traveling. When entering an unknown environment like a hotel, motel, airbnb, or friend’s home, the portable travel mister will reduce mold and temporarily keep it under control without any damage or noticeable effects. Basically, you don’t need to tell anyone about it! Just mist and rest easy knowing your have done a short term remediation.
This travel mister offers a variety of spray patterns from straight stream to a very fine mist, and anything in between. The rotating adjustable spray tip allows you to customize the way your mold solution will spray. A built-in high efficiency membrane pump ensures its excellent performance time and time again.
I honestly love this little travel mister. I have done a quick mist in a lot of various locations including my car. I can’t imagine not taking this anywhere I may need to travel.
You can purchase any of the HavenMisters here.
Longray Basic ULV Fogger with Adjustable Flow & Flex-Hose
This was the first fogger I ever tried and have to say it is one of the best delivery systems I have found for the EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate. The Longray Basic ULV Fogger is designed to be picked up and carried around for manual, directed spraying. The bottom of the unit is a generously-sized, detachable solution tank with an easy-fill valve and a capacity scale. The top of the unit is molded into a grip handle so you can take your fogger anywhere.
It is a genuine fogger. Foggers competing in this price range are often mislabeled misters. WHO guidelines define a particle finer than 100 microns as mist, and finer than 50 microns as fog. The Longray Basic is a genuine fogger, producing a 5-50 micron fog that diffuses faster, penetrates better, and has a higher probability of coming into contact with small particles like mold spores and mycotoxins.
The unit’s vortex nozzle is designed to be clog-resistant and after using it for 2 years now, I have never experienced any issues with it.
What I Like About The Longray Basic ULV Fogger
- It is very lightweight and easy to move around.
- The mist settings are perfect. There is a setting for every area I need to get to.
- It is one of the more affordable mold foggers.
- The nozzle never clogs.
- You can use any mold control solution in it.
- Yes, it has tipped over once or twice as the mold control solution level decreased in the tank. However, since you are holding it to do the fogging, this isn’t a huge issue.
- It also isn’t the easiest fogger to fill with solution but it isn’t horribly difficult or messy. I do spill a little when filling it with water.
Recent Reviews From Amazon
This is really a great product. It does not stand up easily when near empty but it doesn’t seem to be an issue for me. I have beat it up pretty good, dragging it through a crawl space spraying Concrobium on the underside of a floor system. It does fog darn well and it seems to work from any angle. You can dial it back to light mist or let it blow it out full force. I’ve never owned a cold fogger before. I was honestly not expecting much, but great job to whoever made it.
I live in an old mill that sits right on the stream… so water in the lower level is a regular event. My basement is half concrete, half dirt (where the water wheel used to be). Musty smells are almost a given. I gave the basement a good shot of hospital disinfectant, followed the next day a shot of Lysol (1 gallon jug) – I used just a quart and BAM, musty basement is GONE! – Word of advice, get a respirator with chemicals. I got too much a shot of the Lysol. (Cough, cough). Unit is noisy, like the power tool it is. It really does shoot 20′ with the finest mist. A bit top heavy, so I needed to hand hold it… which is comfortable. Not a “set it and leave it” unit… requires your attention but REALLY DOES THE JOB. Nice long cord. Came with some “spare parts”, but no instructions on what they are or where they go. We’ll figure that out later… but all and all VERY HAPPY WITH THIS UNIT.
You can purchase the Longray fogger on Amazon. It is usually under $200.00.
Petra Electric Fogger Atomizer Backpack Sprayer
Petra is a family run company with excellent customer service. If something ever goes wrong with your fogger they are there to help!
The Petra Fogger is a ULV cold fogger with an average particle size of under 50 microns. It sprays 15-20 feet away which means you can spray into attics or crawlspaces easily and with a powerful spray.
Get the power you need to reach up high in attics, into basements, crawl spaces, rooftops and other mold prone places with your favorite mold control solutions.
There is a wide mouth lid without any clamps or seals which makes it easy to pour the mold control solution in.
The Petra Fogger has a large commercial hose which doesn’t restrict movement and allows you to spray more accurately.
What I Like About The Petra Fogger
- It is very comfortable to wear with sturdy, well made backpack straps. It makes it feel lighter than it is.
- It is easy to get into any space with the Petra Fogger since you wear it on you back. No lugging a fogger around and trying to hoist it into the attic.
- The long hose makes it easy to get everywhere without ladders.
- The mist settings and reach of the spray are phenomenal.
- You can use any mold control solution in it.
One – the Petra Fogger is a backpack which might not work for everyone. You have no choice but to wear it as a backpack.
Recent Amazon Reviews
As you might expect, this can get fairly heavy with four gallons of water in it. The unit itself isn’t extremely heavy though. Unfortunately, the shoulder strap broke the first time I tried to put it on. I contacted the seller, and they were extremely helpful and are sending new straps. Hope these hold up better.
This sprayer is light. Easy to use, does a great job spraying in my yard. Able to keep the insects at bay as a dyi.
I was really surprised how easy this was to get up and going, this seams to be a quality built machine!!!
You can purchase the Petra Backpack Mold Control Fogger on Amazon. It is always the lowest price there.
Concrobium Mold Control Fogger
Unfortunately there is very little information about this fogger either on the manufacturer’s website or on the internet. I am not necessarily recommending it but it is a popular mold fogger to rent so I wanted to give you my honest review on it.
The Concrobium Mold Control Fogger is a sturdy and stationary cold fogger. The fogger atomizes Concrobium mold control into a fine mist that quickly and evenly coats surfaces to eliminate existing mold and prevent mold growth.
What I Like About the Concrobium Mold Control Fogger
- It works great in large spaces.
- It disperses the solution quickly and evenly.
- Clear instructions are included with the unit that cover everything from setting it up, to how much mold control solution you will need for your intended room size and how long fogging will take.
- It is a sturdy, well built fogger than can fog any area up to 400s sq ft in a single application.
- It can be tricky to figure out how much solution to use and what setting to use it on even with the clear instructions.
- It only has three mist setting levels and there is no information on the micron size for each setting.
- It does not easily get into hard to reach areas.
- There are filters that need to be removed and cleaned.
- It really only works well with the Concrobium Mold Control Solution. It didn’t work as well with the EC3 Solution.
Recent Reviews On Amazon
Well made, works well. Way more affordable than using “bomb” cans. Use this 3X and it’s paid for itself.
I purchased this product in Sept. 2018. I was looking forward to use it to fog my basement with concrobium mold. The liquid will not fog, and I’ve tried using this model of mold fogger in the past with good success. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to trying it until a couple days after the return window closed.
I have bought 7 in the past 9 month and all of them are not working again. We use for pest control and all went dead average 2 month after purchase. Will not recommend.
If you did want to check out the Concrobium Mold Control Fogger you can likely find it at your local hardware store as a rental. Otherwise you can head here to check it out further.
Those are the four best mold control foggers on the market. You really can’t go wrong with any of them and it is more of a matter of personal preference on which one you choose.
The Best Mold Fogging Solutions
I have done a LOT of research regarding mold fogging solutions. I won’t settle for anything that doesn’t meet my standards. The mold fogging solutions I am recommending have the following things in common:
- All natural
- Safe for use around pets
- Safe for use on and around children’s toys, games, etc…
- Safe if it accidentally gets in contact with skin
- Not necessary to leave the house for a period of time after fogging
- Does not off-gas
- Can be sprayed on any surface or material
- Dries quickly
- Cost Effective
- Decent Shelf Life
- Bonus if it both removes mold and prevents mold
- Double bonus if it removes mycotoxins
Yes, that is a tall order but believe it or not there are products out there that meet all my standards and even meet one or both of my bonuses.
HavenFog – The Best Thermal Fogging Mold Solution
There is only one mold solution I recommend for use with the HavenFogger or any thermal fogger.
HavenFog is an intensive mold treatment. It is a non-toxic, natural, citrus-based solution for safely treating and eliminating mold problems in every nook and cranny of your home or office. It is safe and effective mold treatment for chemically sensitive people.
HavenFog contains a proprietary mixture of grapefruit seed extract, lemon seed extract, lime seed extract, and tangerine seed extract. Exposure to the fog is safe for people, plants, and pets although you really do want to stay out of the area you fogged for 12-24 hours to allow it to settle and work properly.
When you fog with HavenFog, there is no need to remove any items from your home. In fact, it is best if all household items go through the treatment. The fog treats every nook and cranny of the room, even entering into wall and ceiling spaces.
HavenFog has a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of all zeros which is very important.
Pros Of Using HavenFog
- Is it safe for adults, children, plants, and pets
- It leaves a micro-thin coating that dries quickly and is not noticeable
- One gallon will treat 4,000 square feet
- You can pour unused solution back into the bottle for use later
- It has no odor at all
- It tackles both airborne and surface mold spores
- Renders mycotoxins inactive
- You do not need to wear any protective gear while fogging
Not a huge con but ideally you will stay out of the rooms or home for 12-24 hours after fogging. This is not because there is a risk to you being there. Instead, the HavenFog solution works best when left undisturbed for 24 hours.
You can purchase HavenFog here. There are options for bundles with foggers or you can purchase the HavenFog solution by itself.
EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate
EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate is an all-natural botanical solution that, when mixed with distilled water, can be used to maintain a mold and bacteria free home. The solution contains a proprietary blend of citrus seed extracts with antimicrobial properties to effectively remove the mold spores that collect on the hard and soft surfaces of your home.
This product is a recommended and proven part of the Environmental Treatment Protocol, developed by Dr. Don Dennis, for sufferers of Chronic Sinusitis or other mold related disease. This product is safe for all materials, surfaces and fabrics. This product is safe for children and pets, does not off-gas, contains no harmful chemicals and is not toxic.
EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate comes in a 16 ounce bottle, and once properly diluted, makes 1 gallon of cleaning solution which I have found more than covers a 2400 square foot home.
The EC3 mold solution does not leave any residue which means there is no cleanup required after it dries. In fact, the longer you leave it on surfaces and items, the better. I try not to do any cleaning for at least 24 hours after spraying.
I love that you do not have to stay out of the house for very long after spraying. Once the solution dries, people and pets can return. It normally takes about 10-15 minutes for the solution to dry.
Here is the bonus to using the EC3 mold fogging solution. It has actually been proven to reduce the levels of mycotoxins. This is huge! Not only do you get more bang for your buck but you get piece of mind that you are keeping your home and yourself healthy.
Pros of Using EC3 Mold Solution
- It is extremely effective both based on my personal experience (and before and after testing) and on independent testing by Real Time Labs.
- It handles both airborne mold spores and surface mold.
- It dries quickly.
- It won’t irritate your skin if it gets on you.
- You don’t have to wear any protective gear when spraying the EC3 Mold Solution.
- There is no residue after it dries.
Not really. One con could be that you need to mix the concentrated solution with water so there is a possibility of messing up the ratios
If you would like to read my full review of EC3 products feel free to do so.
HavenMist is a water-based solution that is highly effective in treating mold. HavenMist is a non-toxic, natural, citrus-based solution for safely treating and eliminating mold problems in every nook and cranny of your home or office. It is a safe and effective mold treatment for chemically sensitive people.
HavenMist comes in a 16 ounce bottle, and once properly diluted, makes 1 gallon of cleaning solution which I have found more than covers a 2400 square foot home.
HavenMist does not leave any residue which means there is no cleanup required after it dries. In fact, the longer you leave it on surfaces and items, the better. I try not to do any cleaning for at least 24 hours after spraying.
HavenMist has a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of all zeros.
Pros of Using HavenMist
- It handles both airborne mold spores and surface mold.
- It dries quickly.
- It won’t irritate your skin if it gets on you.
- You don’t have to wear any protective gear when spraying HavenMist.
- There is no residue after it dries.
- It has virtually no odor.
Technically, since this is a water based solution, you don’t want to saturate anything that should not get wet. But I have certainly used in around electronics and wall art without issue.
You can purchase HavenMist here. There are options for bundles with HavenMisters or just the HavenMist solution.
Concrobium Mold Control
Concrobium Mold Control dries over the moldy surface and forms an antimicrobial shield that actually eliminates the mold or mildew underneath.
Some antimicrobial solutions are just encapsulants which means they just cover or trap the mold. Concrobium Mold Control goes further than encapsulation. As it dries over the moldy surface it forms an antimicrobial shield that actually eliminates the mold or mildew underneath.
Concrobium Mold Control stays on surfaces – in the form of an invisible antimicrobial shield – to prevent mold and mildew growth. As long as that shield is intact, the treated surface retains a protective barrier that will prevent the growth of mold and mildew. Reapplication is only necessary if that barrier is removed or covered with a new surface. So if the surface receives constant dousing with water (e.g. a shower stall), or resurfaced (painted) or becomes very soiled, it is recommended that the Concrobium Mold Control be reapplied. Otherwise reapplication should not be required.
Pros of Using Concrobium Mold Control
- The solution contains no bleach, ammonia or VOCs.
- It is safe to use on most surfaces, even carpet and timber without any damage to your valuable furniture or floor coverings.
- Concrobium is a long term solution and not just a quick fix.
- It is ready to use with no mixing.
Yes. Quite a few unfortunately.
- Although Concrobium is non-toxic, people and pets do need to be out of the house during and for 24 hours after fogging.
- After fogging, you have to allow the fog to dissipate for at least 15-20 minutes. After that, you need to go in and wipe off any excess wetness from surfaces with a clean cloth.
- You have to allow surfaces to dry overnight. A harmless white residue may remain on surfaces. It may be necessary to wipe some surfaces clean after drying e.g. glass, mirrors. Ideally you will NOT clean the residue with any liquid (water or other cleaner) since this defeats how Concrobium works.
- Concrobium only works if it is allowed to remain on surfaces. Therefore, it doesn’t tackle air born mold spores very well.
You can read my full review of Concrobium Mold Control here.
The Importance of Cleaning Before and After Fogging
The primary purpose of a disinfectant or botanical fogging is to remove mold spores from the home. Unfortunately, soil and dust can protect the mold and circulate it in the air. Disinfecting without prior cleaning can give a false sense of safety. Clearing the room of all extra items that can collect dust is essential. Disinfecting a room will kill microorganisms on surfaces however, it will not necessarily address the airborne spores. Professional mold remediators who use disinfectants will properly seal the room and use negative air pressure and air scrubbers to remove the airborne particles. More importantly, exterminating the life of the mold organism does not completely eliminate the risk. The debris and mycotoxins, which are toxic chemicals, remain harmful to humans.
If a surface is fogged before it is cleaned, the remaining soils can still contribute to the growth of harmful microbes and lead to further contamination. The residual soils may also serve as a barrier, preventing the disinfectant or botanicals from reaching the surface and doing its job. Lingering soils on the surface may affect the active chemicals in a cleaning product, impacting their efficiency. If the surface is thoroughly cleaned first, the disinfection step becomes much more effective.
How to Use Mold Control Foggers
Thermal Fogging / Hot Fogging
- Open up all cabinets, closet doors, and drawers in the areas to be fogged.
- Fill fogger with solution (preferably HavenFog). Place cap back on the reservoir.
- Place the fogger in one corner of the room. Ideally it will be in a location that is pointing out towards the bulk of the furnishings and vents in the area to be fogged.
- If the fogger has a remote control, plug that into the fogger and then into the outlet. If there is no remote control, just plug the power cord into the outlet.
- Turn on the power and set the flow to continuous. Most hot foggers take about 5 minutes to heat up. Once the fogger begins producing fog, close the door to the room (if there is one) and allow it to run until you can’t see 2 feet in front of you. (This usually takes 15-30 minutes for a 12X12 room). There should also be a light film on all surfaces.
- Do this for each room needing to be fogged being sure to close the door to each room after removing the fogger.
- Once complete, pour the leftover solution, if any, back into the bottle. Fill the fogger with 80% warm water and 20% white vinegar and run outside for 10 minutes to clean it. Pour out any remaining water from the tank.
- Depending on the mold fogging solution you choose to use, you may need to stay out of the house for anywhere from 4-48 hours. If you are using HavenFog, ideally you will remain out of the house until the fog has settled, about 12-24 hours. This is because you want the fog to completely settle on all surfaces without being disturbed.
- After 24 hours, clean all horizontal surfaces by HEPA vacuuming, wet mopping, or wet wiping.
ULV Cold Fogging
Using a ULV mold fogger is really easy and can be done one of two ways. There is the set it and forget it method and there is the handheld method.
Both methods involve the following steps:
- Clear the area to be treated of any items that might get damaged by getting damp or wet (some furniture, electronics, paper etc).
- Add your mold fogging solution of choice to the mold fogger tank.
- Adjust the liquid flow rate settings on your chosen fogger to your desired setting. I prefer to use either the finest mist setting or one up from that.
For Set It and Forget It Foggers (Stationary Mold Foggers)
- Set the mold fogger up where it will run and angle the fogger head for optimal dispersal around the entire room. Do not point it straight into a wall.
- Turn the fogger on for the desired time – but not so much that the solution runs onto surfaces and pools.
- After you have turned the machine off, let the area sit for half an hour so that all the fog has settled.
For Handheld Mold Control Foggers
- Grab your fogger and start by spraying the mold fogging solution into each air vent in the room. You may want to turn the spray up a bit so it sprays further into the vent.
- Turn the mist back down to the finest setting and spray the contents of the room. Don’t hesitate to open closets up and drawers up and spray inside. Spray until everything is covered in a fine mist. You want it slightly damp to the touch but not wet. Nothing should be dripping.
- Spray the ceilings, floors, and windowsills.
- Repeat in each room.
After either mold fogging method, open the windows, turn on fans and allow the area to dry.
That’s it! There is no rinsing required. You can get back to life!
Other ULV Mold Fogging Tips
- I like to put the handheld mold control foggers on the “finest mist” setting. This offers the most coverage without saturating everything.
- I literally spray everything in my home. The mist is so fine that I haven’t had any problems spraying electronics with it. It doesn’t leave things wet on this setting.
- Not only do I spray all the furnishings, I spray the counters, walls, ceilings, floors, window coverings, beddings, inside closets, etc…
- Since vehicles can become easily contaminated, I use my mold prevention and mycotoxin removal protocol in my car as well. It takes about five minutes with the fine mist and my car feels wonderful afterwards!
Is There A Way To Keep The Airborn Mold Spore Count Down Between Mold Foggings?
If you are looking for something to use in between monthly treatments, I highly recommend you use one of these three great products!
EC3 Air Purification Candles
If you are looking for something to use in between monthly treatments, I highly recommend the EC3 Air Purification Candles.
As an EC3 Candle burns, the heat from the flame aerosolizes and disperses an all-natural, antifungal ingredient embedded in the soy wax into the air. The candle reduce mold counts by more than 90% in 3 hours. That is HUGE!
Additionally, independent lab tests demonstrated EC3 Candles denatured mycotoxins. Each candle has a burn life of approximately 22 hours. The candles have no added fragrance, so as not to aggravate chemical sensitivities that are common in sinusitis sufferers.
I like to burn these around my house every week, just to ensure that no mold spores take root. So far so good!
Remedy Air Treatment Dispenser
The battery operated Remedy air treatment dispenser slowly emits a safe, odorless concentrate of citrus and vegetable extracts over 8 to 10 weeks. This continuously and safely bio-balances your environment to reduce the levels of airborne mold spores and mycotoxins.
One dispenser & refill is perfect for a standard 12′ x 12′ room, but typically covers up to 400 sq ft. The dispenser can be hung on the wall or set on a flat surface.
What I love about the Remedy air treatment dispenser is that there is no burning candle to worry about. Seeing that I am involved in cat rescue, candles aren’t always ideal. This would hold true for a household with small children.
You can purchase the Remedy Air Treatment Dispenser and Refill here. **Currently out of stock**
Remedy Air Maintenance Candle
Much like the EC3 Candle, the Remedy Air Maintenance candle is a specially formulated soy-based candle to help maintain low mold environment. They emit a safe, odorless concentrate of citrus and vegetable extract that reduce the airborn mold and mycotoxin counts.
The Remedy candles lasts up to 30 hours. Burn 3 hours (longer if the room is larger than 12′ x 12′) in each room to be treated the first day and 1 hour every 1 to 2 days thereafter.
You can purchase the Remedy Air Maintenance Candle here.
Fogging DOES NOT replace the professional, physical removal of visible mold colonization of walls, floors, ceilings, or under carpets. Fixing the water source and removing mold infestation safely and properly is critical.