RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Stain Remover is one of the products I did NOT personally use. Why? It’s bleach based. Bleach does not kill mold and in fact can make the situation worse. Please read my post on Does Bleach Kill Mold for more information.
Having said that, I do want to give you sound information on the RMR-86 product in the event that you have already purchased it and were planning on using it.
What is RMR-86?
RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Stain Remover is not a EPA registered mold killer. The scientifically designed formula of RMR-86 allows it to remove mold stains and mildew stains in 15 seconds with zero scrubbing. Please read that again… remove mold stains, not remove mold.
Since I did not personally use this product, I read hundreds of reviews and am sharing the pros and cons based on what other’s have said.
- Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride
- Dimethyl Ethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride
Pros of RMR-86
- No scrubbing
- Dries quickly
- Works on a variety of household surfaces including interior and exterior ones
- Not a huge investment (a gallon size is less than $50)
- Removes mold odors as well as stains (note from Jennifer – RMR BLEACHES mold. That is different than removing mold).
- Suitable for prepping before repainting surfaces
- The most recommended mold removers for boats (again – not a true mold remover)
- Kills 141 organisms
- Ready to use – no dilution required
Cons of RMR-86
- Not a long-term mold inhibitor
- Not a good idea to tackle a larger mold issue
- Cannot be used in poorly ventilated areas
- You need a lot of preparation beforehand (protective gear, storage solutions, test spots)
- Difficult and dangerous to store
- Short shelf life
Toxic or Non Toxic
Very toxic. Its composition contains sodium hypochlorite to take care of old and stubborn cases of mold.
Do not use the RMR 86 without wearing gloves or safety goggles. You also need a lot of ventilation so open windows and doors if possible. Reviews include things like “the smell makes us want to tear our eyes out” and “we could not return home for 2 days it smelled so bad.” RMR Botanical is available to mask this odor. See a problem yet?
You must wash your face and hands immediately after using the product. Avoid smoking, eating or drinking while using this mold remover.
You’ll also have to store the remainder somewhere safe once you’re done. Be sure to check on it often just in case the bottle leaks. It will eat through surfaces if left untended for too long.
The Final Verdict
I would NOT use RMR-86 for any reason. Simply put, it does not kill, clean, or remove mold and it is highly toxic. The end. But if you really want to purchase it, you can do so here.